Sunday, August 21, 2011

Better Off?

I recently read Better Off: Flipping the Switch on Technology (Beth, I think you'd really like it and thought about you frequently while reading it).  As you may know, one of my goals is to ditch my iPhone, which I'm getting quite close to doing (the contract is up this month).  The primary reason that I decided that I wanted to get rid of the thing is because my attachment to/dependence on it has been making me uncomfortable for some time.  I spend way too much time on it, all too frequently to the exclusion of engaging in actual life activities or connecting with the people most important to me.  Ironically, I have much less deep and meaningful contact with my family and friends since acquiring the iPhone and much more superficial contact with a wider variety of people. 

Reading Better Off has led me to an even broader evaluation of the relationship that I have with technology and whether it is actually improving my life.  In that evaluation, I have begun to question whether I need to have a cell phone at all.  I lived quite happily and successfully without one well into adulthood.  I talked with my friends and family members on the phone with great regularity.  If I wasn't home, people just didn't get to talk to me.  I didn't have the immediate gratification of getting information I needed from people without engaging in the social niceties that may, in fact, have been solidifying and cementing our relationships.  As some of you know, I posted something on Facebook asking for people's feedback on my potentially getting rid of my cellphone.  Many people appeared horrified, some even comparing the idea to cutting off a limb.  And it was, in part, the ferocity of the opposition that has helped me move towards getting rid of my cell phone altogether.

My plan is to ditch my cell phone in favor of a landline of some kind.  Margo will keep her cell phone.  Although she has come around to the idea of not having a smart phone, she's not quite on board with not having a cell phone at all.  And it could come in handy in case of an emergency, I suppose.

I'm not sure what else will get the boot in my re-evaluation of my life.  Facebook is on the table, although I really value the re-connections I've made with some people, particularly people from my hometown.  I may just do a major downsizing on Facebook again.  Google+ might go as well.  It hasn't blown me away so far, but we'll see what happens.

One of the major points the author makes in Better Off is that manual labor can be more efficient and more enjoyable than using modern technology.  I'm going to be looking around my home and seeing what I can do manually in lieu of relying on machines.  I'd love to hear from you all if there are things you've started doing for yourself that you used to relegate to machines.  And I'll keep you posted on my progress.

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting how technology influences people differently. For me, I'm so reclusive and introverted and shy that things like Facebook and text messaging increase my social interactions by about 1000% and that's a very good thing for me. I definitely understand your reasons for wanting to stop though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, S. as in Sarah Dougherty. Guess my blogger profile could use a little work. Thought it was going to be my usual google profile. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt has read that book, but I have not. I will rotate it up in the To-Read list though per your review. It does sound right up my alley.

    Whatever you choose it doesn't have to be permanent. If you ditch your phone and end up unable to cope without it you can always go back. However, I doubt you will, especially if Margo keeps hers for those road trip-and-emergency type situations.

    Matt and I simultaneously gave up our cells in favor of a landline and I must say I had some doubts. My dad sort of freaked about the idea and was offering to pay for my phone....an offer I seriously considered. In the end I am so relieved not to have it. It's been close to a year now and I can think of three instances where it would have been really handy, but none were life and death.

    All and all, it has been 100% positive.

    As to Facebook, I've considered getting rid of it, but haven't for the reasons you listed and because my tie-dye business is linked to my account. For me the real difference is that I am in charge of how often I use facebook. I have to actually go to the site and log in. Cell phones never seem to stop. I know I could have turned off my cell phone, but I didn't and the darn thing was constantly interrupting me! I don't miss it at all.

    My friends took it harder than I did....

    I am sure you will find the right electronic communication level for your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm quite intrigued by this book you're referring to. i resisted cell phones for so many years, and finally gave in when i moved to london, because no one there even had landlines. it was mobile phone or no phone. now back in the states, my internet account is linked to a land-line, whether i want it or not. so now i've got two phones, want them or not. but for some reason i haven't given up the cell phone. well, 1.5 years left on the contract would be the reason. but i'm thinking of reading this book of yours before that contract is up, to put things into perspective a bit.

    i did scale down shortly after moving to juneau. i realized that i was still a member on a number of websites i had no interest in keeping up on (myspace, friendster, etc). cut it all down to facebook. then i scaled back on the facebook friends as well, cut out those people i had only briefly met and never maintained touch with, and cut out those folks i had vaguely known in high school and college who had felt compelled for whatever reason to "friend" everyone they knew, as opposed to just those they were actually friends with. it felt good. felt like i was being more real with myself and with others. and made it easier to pay more attention to those who actually matter to me, personally. (another scale-back is well overdue at this point.)

    all that said, i think what you're referring to is much more than any of these anecdotes. and i'm intrigued. so do share more! i'll look forward to hearing more of your adventures of the anti-tech!

    ReplyDelete