Sunday, June 26, 2011

Fishing in the Dark

I am so close to actually fishing.  I've had a fishing license for at least two months now.  I bought a fishing pole a couple of weeks ago.  I bought a book about fishing.  I started reading the Washington State fishing regulations, and that's where things got a little bit overwhelming.

When I added all of these bits about fishing to my list of goals, I did it with memories of fishing in a pond or a lake with my dad as a kid.  It seemed like it could be a great way to spend some time outdoors and also provide us with an occasional meal of fresh fish.  I had no idea it was so complicated.  For those of you who are not familiar with the vagaries of fishing regulations, let me just give you a taste.  I just have a freshwater license.  I cannot fish in any rivers or streams that enter into Puget Sound or the Strait of Juan de Fuca.  Statewide, there are only certain fish that I can catch, in varying numbers and with varying size regulations.  Then, virtually every single body of water has it's own set of regulations regarding fish that may be caught that may differ from the statewide regulations in a variety of ways.  In addition, I'm not sure that I could positively identify any freshwater fish aside from a Northern Pike.

We went camping this weekend and were going to be staying near a lake in which it is possible to fish.  I took my fishing pole.  If it had just been Margo and I, I might have gone fishing, but the thought of trying to go fishing with an additional audience was just more than I can handle.  I'm confident that fishing will happen soon, however.  I just need a little more information and a little more time to work up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment