Monday, March 28, 2011

So Many Updates!!!

Well folks, A LOT has happened in the last two weeks.  And I'm a little embarrassed that it's been so long since I posted an update.  My mom and my sister came to visit last weekend (3/18-3/21/11).  We had a great time going to thrift stores and estate sales and playing games.  They also helped me accomplish one of my goals:  Lining and hanging the new curtains!  I'm about to show you an after picture, but let me give you some context.  For the longest time, our living room was painted three different shades of brown (I realize now it was a warm, brown cave).  To go along with that and our former brown couch, we had two sets of curtains, one ivory and one brown.  They were perfectly lovely.  Then we got rid of the brown couch.  Then we painted the living room a pale gray.  Suddenly the ivory and brown curtains just looked really, really bad.  So six months ago we bought some new curtains.  And they sat in the packages until just a week and a half ago waiting for me to quickly sew on the extra lining that I've had for years.  But thanks to my mom and my sister, they're done and hanging in the living room:


It's not the best picture, but you get the ideas.  Now, however, it has become even more painfully clear that the old green couch is going to have to go.  Luckily we've got a plan, and it looks like this.  I just want to save up a little more money before we buy it.  And we also have to figure out a way to get rid of the current couch.  I'm thinking we'll probably post it in the free ads on Craiglist, but if you want it, come and get it.

We also had a major accomplishment this evening:  We bought a new dishwasher!  By happy accident, all EnergyStar appliances were 10% off at Sears this week, so we paid a little less than we might otherwise.  It's going to be installed and the old dishwasher hauled away on Saturday, just in time for my turn to do dishes!  Ironically, it was my #3 choice of 3 models after doing research and before seeing them in person.  The sales lady clearly wanted us to buy this one, but we also liked it the most of the three on our list.  We also bought their 3 year maintenance plan, and I'm honestly not interested in hearing if you think that was a bad decision.

Work is still hectic, but I'm really loving it.  There's something really awesome about caring for people who are at their most acute.  I'm learning so much more than I anticipated.  I also had the weirdest, funniest dream about my boss last week.  I dreamed that he had put my on an experimental weight loss program that he developed (he's an MD and an MPH) and by the end of it I had gained 115 pounds.  He told me that it means I think he's a terrible doctor.  I actually think he's a brilliant doctor, but I didn't tell him that.  I just told him I think it means that this job is harder and heavier than I thought it was going to be.  I really think that's what the dream meant.  But I'm really happy I made the change.  The challenge is exactly what I needed.

Coming soon: a post on the book that has revolutionized my kitchen.  And an update on all of my recent thrift/antiquing finds (Margo and I went antiquing this weekend.  I love to go to antique malls.  We spent three hours in one of them yesterday.  It made my weekend.).  Maybe tomorrow....

2 comments:

  1. OOOOOO....a revolutionized kitchen!? What a cliffhanger! (And I am being totally serious.)

    PS Hilarious dream...whatever it means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are those curtains from Target? I think my best mommy friend just bought the same ones for HER living room. (Take that as you will LOL.)

    I can't wait to see you!!! I've been thinking a lot about my trip!

    jen

    ReplyDelete